Thursday, June 18, 2015

Day 36

Today I had my third bone marrow biopsy but this time I was not in the hospital already so it was done as an outpatient procedure.  The doctor that did this one does prefers the needle and mallet method, as you can see from the pictures below.  In the end, I didn't care because I was passed out from my three "margaritas" they gave me.  I asked for my usual 2 and before the doctor started I raised my head up and told them loudly and clearly that I was still awake.  They remedied that for me quickly and I woke up with my wonderful wife by my side.  I have learned to be very vocal and ask for what I want during a medical procedure.  Extra blankets, warm blankets, more pillows, move this wire, extra drugs, location of shots or IVs, timing of medications, types of medications, even the tools they use.  You can really control a lot of your care, you just have to ask!  

This is a very important one.  These results need to be completely clear, not leukemia or any other abnormal cells at all.  If this is the case, then I will be in remission and I can start on the 4 sets of consolidation. That would be only 5 days in the hospital then go home for 1-2 weeks and repeat.  If not, they I might have to start over with the another induction which equals 3+ weeks in the hospital.  So, in the name of Jesus we are praying it is 100% clear to the doctors that my bone marrow is leukemia free!

Hand cranked needle to enter bone


Mallet or something similar to tap past the hard bone into the juicy marrow

I have a follow up appointment Monday with the doctor to get the results!

No comments: